HERCULES’s Clarence “Shaheed” DuBois Roadshow and Community Grant Program was recently featured in the NIEHS PEPH newsletter. This program continues to evolve over the years to enhance...
The Community Engagement Core
The Community Engagement Core (CEC) collaborates with community partners using an exposome approach to seek environmental justice and improve health in the metro Atlanta area.
Guided by a commitment to anti-racism, we aim to:
By developing partnerships and building capacity among community members and scientists, the CEC aims to incorporate community concerns into the long-term research efforts of HERCULES investigators.
To achieve these aims, we use the following approaches:
Community Engagement Highlights
Read our Community Engagement Core publications here.
- Clarence “Shaheed” Dubois Community Grant Program highlighted in Emory’s Public Health Magazine
- Results of 2013/2014 Mini-Grant “Proctor Creek Watershed Watch: A Photovoice Project” presented at 2015 U.S. EPA Community Involvement Training Conference
- Proctor Creek Coalition January 2015 Meeting Updates
- Clarence “Shaheed” Dubois Community Grant Program
- CEC activities in the news!
- Atlanta Community Forum: Environment, Health and Action
Community Engagement Activities
Families from Atlanta learned about the chemical toxicity of products in their home at the 2021 virtual Atlanta Science Festival. Using the Environmental Working Group’s Healthy Living app,...
Our Community Engagement Core presented their work on learning the community’s definition of the exposome at the International Society for Exposure Science’s (ISES) Annual Meeting, held...
Implementation of a community grant program to address community-driven environmental health concerns
As a new Center, HERCULES sought to engage local Atlanta communities to learn about and address their self-identified environmental health concerns. To do this, the HERCULES Community Engagement Core...
The HERCULES Community Engagement Core and Stakeholder Advisory Board have adopted an Anti-Racism Commitment to guide us in our...