HERCULES Community Engagement Core
- Shaheed Dubois Community Grant Program highlighted in Emory’s public health magazine
- Proctor Creek Community Collaborative Health Survey featured in Emory Magazine
Proctor Creek Coalition
- HERCULES community partner Na’Taki Osborne Jelks was appointed to the National Environmental Justice Advisory Council!
- Proctor Creek Watershed Watch: A Photovoice Project presented at 2015 U.S. EPA Community Involvement Training Conference
- The Proctor Creek Coalition was a finalist for the Atlanta Magazine Groundbreakers Award
- The EPA conducted the “Boone Boulevard” Green Street Health Impact Assessment in the Proctor Creek Watershed community of Atlanta.
- Although significant improvements have been made, the Proctor Creek community continues to face challenges as highlighted in the January 23, 2014 piece by the Atlanta Journal Constitution “Waste still seeps into pollution-plagued creek”.
- Members of the Proctor Creek Coalition and others from the local community met in January 2015 to address environmental health concerns such as flooding and mold. A video of the meeting is available here!
- In April 2015, Atlanta won $280,000 grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior to help fund the construction of a 9.2 acre park next to Proctor Creek. Read more about this story here!
Michigan PBB Project
- Highlights from the Intergenerational Risk from Environmental Contamination Conference – April 2016
- Documentary highlights research about effects of PBB exposure.
- More than 200 St. Louis, MI residents have now participated in blood screenings for PBB exposure.
- Hear about the impacts PBB exposure has had on this community 40 years later.
- One Company’s Toxic Legacy
- Researchers find serious health effects from toxic PBB mix-up in Michigan.