While we know that Earth Day is EVERYDAY, it is nice, on this day, to take some time out from our everyday busy schedules to reflect on our environment. Below are some ideas and events that partners have shared with us!
[Posted April 22, 2020]
HERCULES partner Garry Harris shared the following Town Hall “Called to Act and Adapt: Faith-Based Climate Adaptation Town Hall” today at 2pm:
Registration See Below
See video below
Celebrate Emory Waterhub’s 5th Anniversary of reclaiming and recycling Emory’s wastewater by taking a “virtual tour”!
Check out Emory Sustainability Initiative’s other ideas and opportunities to celebrate Earth Day virtually: https://sustainability.emory.edu/join-in-emorys-virtual-earth-month/
The Southern Environmental Law Center has a special series of podcast episodes for Earth Day: https://brokengroundpodcast.org/
The series of interviews launching today will feature authors and leading voices on environmental issues impacting the South. Today’s episode is a conversation with author, wildlife biologist, and South Carolina native Drew Lanham, who wrote The Home Place: Memoirs of a Colored Man’s Love Affair with Nature. Later episodes will include Dr. Robert Bullard, considered a founder of the environmental justice movement, and journalist Earl Swift, who wrote Chesapeake Requiem: A Year with the Watermen of Vanishing Tangier Island.
Eri Saikawa and Emory Climate Talks invite you to the following event:
Emory Climate Talks to celebrate EARTH DAY with artist ALEXIS ROCKMAN
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22
3:00 p.m – 4:30 p.m. (EST)
Please join us by
(to prevent Zoom bombing,
we will send link and
password prior to event)
the Climate Reality Project’s celebration:
Join us to virtually celebrate Earth Day 50 Anniversary.
The Climate Reality Atlanta Chapter and the Consulates of Germany and Switzerland will be hosting a virtual discussion with climate experts. See the poster below.
This is a free event:
Day: April 22nd
Time: 6pm – 7 pm
Our partners at the West Atlanta Watershed have several ways to get engaged:
- Tune in to Instagram Live TODAY at 1:30PM with the Tamron Hall Show (@tamronhallshow) for a special Earth Day interview with WAWA’s own, Dr. Na’Taki Osborne Jelks. She’ll talk about WAWA’s efforts to grow a cleaner, greener, healthier, and more sustainable West Atlanta!
- WAWA WEDNESDAYS
- Weekly thru May 13 @ 1PM on Facebook & Instagram Live
- We look forward to having you WEDNESDAYS at 1PM for outdoor environmental exercises for you to enjoy.
And lastly (but not least!!) given that it is impossible to disentangle the current pandemic from our environment, here are a few items related to COVID-19:
The US House Committee on Natural Resources virtual roundtable on the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on environmental justice communities:
On Thursday April 23rd, 2020 at 3:30 pm EST Chair Raúl M. Grijalva and Rep. Donald McEachin of the House Committee on Natural Resources will host a virtual roundtable to discuss the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on environmental justice communities. You may view the virtual roundtable on Facebook live and YouTube.
- A call to action from the UN, which illustrates the interconnected impacts of COVID-19 using the Sustainable Development Goals: https://unsdg.un.org/sites/default/files/2020-03/SG-Report-Socio-Economic-Impact-of-Covid19.pdf
- Monday webinar on COVID-19 and the Sustainable Development Goals: https://www.unsdsn.org/covid-19-webinar
- Resources from our partners at the Mt. Sinai Environmental Health Research Center and PEHSU – consider making changes today to celebrate Earth Day!