Latina residents of Norcross and Peachtree Corners in Gwinnett County came together with Emory HERCULES in November 2017 to share their health concerns, learn about the exposome, and identify a health priority. As a result, a group of residents committed to working together to address chronic stress in their community.
Phase 2: Planning Grant
Residents who came together in Phase 1 were awarded $1000 in January 2018 to develop an Action Plan to address the community need identified during the Roadshow:
Latina mothers in Gwinnett County’s Peachtree Corners/Norcross sector have identified a chronic overwhelming presence of stress that is interfering with their daily well-being. Having a multi-cultural family center to address/mediate reactive and proactive measures for both elders and youth is the community’s direction of interest.
To put their plan into action, residents were awarded $2500 in May 2018.
Project Title: The Natalia Casas Multicultural Mother’s Project
Mission: To realize the economic value of multi-cultural knowledge within the sphere of food, health, and wellness which in turn will alleviate the economic displacement underlying Latina mothers’ chronic stress.
- To garner interest within the community for support, engagement and partnerships for a multicultural center.
- To engage in meetings and presentations about health, cultural traditions, and stress management at a local center.
- To exercise cultural visibility of focused presentations in organized external settings.
Phase 4: Sustainability Grant
To sustain their efforts, the Natalia Casas Multicultural Mother’s Project was awarded $2500 in May 2019.
Project Title: Building Sustainability for the Natalia Casas Multicultural Mothers’ Project
- To structure stress-relieving activities offered to members once per month.
- To increase the number of families/youth who attend local civic meetings and environmental health engagements.
Organizational Capacity Goals:
- To attain the 501c(3) status for a member’s non-profit program to act as a fiscal sponsor and formalize a relation with our group.
- To build knowledge of key team members by utilizing all spaces offered to our program by Emory Hercules for the Non-Profit training program.